• The Crap We Ride

    Hey there, y'all! Sorry about the abscence, but Trans Iowa details are taking alot more of my time in my brain! Today's subject is Surly's soon to be classic, the Karate Monkey frame and fork. First of all, this bike has got to have THE coolest name for a MTB- EVER! So, hands down a great bike! Review over!

    Nah! Just kidding! Here is the 411. web- www.surlybikes.com Approximate retail- 'round $400.00 or so. Gets you the frame, fork, and seat collar. Available in brown mettalic, or black. Takes 2.1 inch wide, volumnous knobby tires, on a 700c rim. (That's 29 inchers for those in the know!) Disc brake, or rim brake compatible. Horizontal rear drop outs= single speed capable. Rear derailluer mount= gears for those who like that sort of thing! Full compliment of braze-ons.

    Okay! Backround for ya! I got the KM as a frame/fork set-up new in early '03, right after they came out. Mine is the original Campstove Green. Now, there are as many ways to build up this bike as there are people! I decided on single speed, MTB, disc brake, and kept the rigid fork, which is suspension corrcted, by the way. I'm not going to get into detail on the parts spec here- this is about the frame and fork!

    The Good: This frame and fork is an outstanding value, as is most everything Surly makes. Construction was quality, paint was pretty good, and everything was straight and true. Build up was a breeze. After many, many miles, the paint still looks pretty good. Very durable, as is the frame itself. The ride quality is okay- for a steel bike. It could be better, alot better, but then the tubeset would have to be WAY more expensive! So- for what you pay for, it's pretty decent. One thing for sure,this frame can take a beating! Frame geometry is often a hard thing to relate to others of the bike. Let me just say that this bike can singletrck with anything I have slung a leg over in my almost 20 years of offroading. It's also the most stable bike I have ridden in a long time. This being attributed to the wheel/ fork trail combination. Over-all this is a really good frame/fork. The fork has left some reviewers scrabling for their suspended forks, or more flexible rigid counterparts. It's just fine for me, as I don't like flexy front steerers.

    The Bad: Weight! Ugh! This frame/fork weighed in at 7.2lbs, on my un-official Europa shop scale. But, as I said above, a lighter tube set would have increased the price dramatically. The ride quality suffers a bit as a result of this as well. Horizontal drop-outs made tensioning, and adjusting the chain a breeze, but taking the rear wheel out becomes a pain. With disc brakes, Surly made a special disc brake mount that allows you to loosen the caliper mounting bolts and swing the caliper up out of the way to remove the rear wheel. That's cool, but it's an extra step and requires you to always have a 5mm. allen handy in case of a flat. I would have preferred an EBB. Of course, that would have increased the price, AND the weight! Gearys will experience their own peccadilloes with this frame, as well. But, I don't have direct experience with that, so I reserve comment.

    What I Say: This is a value packed, durable, WAY VERSATILE, and decent riding frame and fork. Surly NAILED the geometry for offroading. You could build up the frame as a geared, single speed, roadie, touring, cyclo-crossing, MTB-ing, townie mutt, or anything else bike your heart desired. Did I mention building up as a fixie? It's cheap, durable, and cheap and durable! It is what it is. It COULD be better- but at a greater expense to you. What do you think?

    Well, back to Trans Iowa planning for me! Later!