• Race Report: Iowa's 3rd Annual 24 Hour Race

    Just got back from another 24. Mission accomplished. I went in looking to win...but that is not always guarenteed. I did come away with the win, but not with out some pain....suffering...and a good push from DQ. Below is a recap of the race. Enjoy.

    ROAD TRIP

    On Saturday AM, I followed Carl and his wife Amy down to Boone, Iowa. He to was going to be racing solo. The last time he raced solo was this same event last year. We left Cedar Falls bright and early for the 2 hour road trip so we could round up some primo pit area right off course.

    We got to Seven Oak Recreation Area around 8:20 AM. This gave us plenty-o-time to set up pits, lay out food, meet and great with other racers, discuss equipment, and for me...plan the attack. The pit lay out was good. I had DQ and Noonan to my left and Carl to my right.

    PIT

    When we were about 1.5 hours from race time I started to eye the competition. These would be the people that I thought were able to be a threat and pull off a strong finish...if not win. My list included the following...Noonan from the Kona Enduro Team, Coach DQ, and Carl. With the weather forcasted to be almost 90 degrees, I planned to push hard the first 5 hours. I wanted to try to suck my competition into thinking they had to follow at my pace. With the weather being hot, I figured this might lead to cramps, and dehydration for my competition. To be able to do this, I had to prepare for the heat...drinks lots, double to almost triple the dosage of ELETE and Endurolytes.

    Now, I am going to try to give a lap run down as best as I can remember.

    Laps 1-5
    The race started at noon. I was about the 10th person to my bike...DOH! DQ and Noonan both headed onto the course before me. I had to get in front of both of them before the tight single track of this course, since there is not many places to pass. About 300 yards in I got around DQ. Then I had to fight around 5 people to get behind Noonan. Once behind Noonan, I shot around him to get into the single track before them. Once I got into he singletrack I went into a comfortable XC pace. The lap was like 7 miles of tight, twisty, off camber singletrack with lots of little 5-20 foot steep climbs. I maintain my pace, to eventually catch Squirrel who was in the very front of the race leading his 4 man team. I came in from Lap 1 and grabbed a fresh bottle, and more endurolytes and Anti-Fatigue. I pushed on through the rest of the 4 laps and this pace. I felt good, and everything was working great on the bike.

    Lap 6
    On lap 6 I got a flat on my rear tire about 1/2 miles from the end of the lap. I had a thorn go thru my Maxxis Mimo tire. Instead of fixing in on course, I aired it up with the CO2 and rode it back to the pit. Once to the pit, I fixed the flat and grabbed some food and more nutrition. I also inquired about the status of my competition. DQ was like 20 minutes back, and Noonan was down even more do to bike/flat problems. The rest of the solo riders where doing their own thing. Turning lap after lap after lap.

    Laps 7-9
    By the end of lap 7 I had lapped the solo field but for DQ and Noonan. These few laps hurt! About half way through my 2nd lap after the flat I started to get weak and lose my power. My speeds started to slow a bit and was just not feel'n real well. I was thinking to myself that I might have gone too hard and did myself in. I kept pushing on. I was mashing rather than spining. Things were not good. The negative thoughts where going through my head (as they do with all endurance racers at some point in a race). I managed to keep going. My speed was not where I wanted it. I was informed that DQ was making time on me. I almost had DQ lapped, but still needed 10 minutes on him to achieve lapping him and the entire solo field. When I came in after lap 9 I was pretty hungry. I was craving sugar. I ate a bit of pasta with olive oil and salt, about 6 oz. of Coke, and half a Powerbar.

    Laps 10-13
    Wahoo! The amazing results of sugar and real food! About 20 minutes after I ate the food, I started to feel great. I was light on the pedals, and catching alot of the team rides (all but Cam, cause he's sup'a fast yo!). I came in from lap 12 and saw Noonan sitting in the pit. He was done for the day. He said he didn't feel well plus he was have a run a flats. DQ was also in from a lap grabbing some nutrtion and heading out for another lap. So it was official. I had a lap on the field. All I had to do was damamge control, meaning keep riding and making sure no body makes up time or laps.

    Lap 14
    Night time has come. My first lap of racing on the full on Cateye "shot" light setup. I was running the Double Shot on the helmet and Triple Shot on the bar. I was able to keep my night laps fast. This light setup thows out some great clean and white light. Pretty amazing technology. Just like at 24-9, I had people comment on the brightness of the light. Due to the tightness of the singletrack and all the sharp 90 degree like corners, the bar mount wasn't really doing much. So for the rest of the night riding I just ran the Double Shot helmet light with its 5 hours of run time.


    Lap 15
    Oooooo, my stomach. During lap 15 my stomach was not being cool. I had a gut ache, and needed to use the bathroom to do a #2. I got done with lap 15, and informed my pit crew...Mom and Dad...that my stomach was being stupid. I had a big enough lead, that I tried to take a #2 but that was a no-go. What ever was being a pain in my gut had to come out. So, I ran behind the car with a plastic knife and self induced myself to empty my stomach. The result...

    BARF

    Lets see here, what do we have. I see some Powerbar, some pasta, and fruit punch flavored Gatorade Endurance. I can't really tell...is that part of a Clif Bar in the lower right corner? Ah, who knows. Don't forget about the stuff that got soaked into the ground/grass.

    Lap 16-23
    After I took care of the business above, I felt like a million dollars. I headed out for more laps. I had some interesting events on some of my final night laps. I saw DQ sleeping on course. I didn't wake him, cause he was in second and this let me get more time. I came around again, and he was still there. I got in from the lap and told his pit. They were concerned. I did another lap and finally DQ was back in his pit area sleeping for the rest of the night. He did not look well.

    On another night lap, I came across Carl who was still pushing through the night. His lights went out. So, I rode behind him and used my Double shot to get us back to the pit. We got back to the pit and both refueled, and headed out for some laps together. We rode together for a few laps. Even had Chuck H, who was on a dominate 2 man team, rode a lap with us.

    For me, the race was pretty much wrapped up. All I had to do was do a few more laps to guarentee the win. I did some more laps... while watched the sun come up during one lap...and did more damage control. DQ, who was in second, and slept away his lead. Carl, who rode through the night had moved into 2nd...but didn't know it.

    In the end, I did what I needed to do to win. I ended up with 23 laps. I stopped riding at about 9 AM, but still stayed in my gear just incase I needed to go out again. Carl kept going to guarentee his 2nd place. The 3rd place rider...and Iowa State student...was still charging and riding really well. Carl ended up with 21 laps, and pulled out 2nd place. He got paid for his effort, so that means he is now so-pro.

    Overall, it was a great event! This event will only get better! Thanks to the guys at Irwin's and 7 Oaks for a great time! Also thanks to all those yelling encouragement at me on course and going through the pit area...it means a lot. Thanks again to the sponsors for rock'n equipment, and to my parents for their nutritional distribution skills.

    Here are some great quotes/comments/sounds from the weekend...
    From numerous people: "Man, that World's thing is a joke. Glad you're here."
    While riding with Carl on a night lap: "My ass hurts."
    Unidentified rider: "Geez man, you're over half done. Slow down now."
    Squirrel: "Dude, nice monkey."
    Team rider Chuck H. while riding with 2 solo racers: "Now, this is more my pace."
    Sean Noonan of the Kona Enduro Team watching me barf: "So this is what your solo guys do to make it. Gross!"
    DQ while sleeping on the course: [insert snoring noise here] yes, DQ you were snoring when I went by. Hope your feeling better.
    Numerous riders: Grunting noises while trying to get up all those steep hills.

    And...
    How did I get home you ask? I drove home after the event while slamming down 3 cans of Red Bull. I still fell asleep at 10 minutes after 5.

    It's time to rest up. The rest of the week will be messed up, so blogging will be sub-par. I am moving to a new apartment, planning the rest of my race scheule, and a trip to Interbike. Stay tuned for updates and pictures from the race. There will be post relating the 24 hour race at Carl's site and JY's site.

    THANK YOU SPONSORS!!!

    Your top 3 solo riders and the back of some dude's mellon.
    Remember, always hold up what ever you win. Bling! Bling!
    PHOTO © JY CYCLING

    Other endurance related results...
    Sloane gets 7th at a mud filled World's
    SoloGoat rages thru mud and crap to 2nd at World's
    Soiled Chamois ignores pain to pull off a 4th at 7 Springs.
    and Carl got
    paid!