• 12 Hours of Thunder Recap.

    Just got back from the 12 Hours of Thunder. Came away with 2nd overall in the Solo Mens field out of 11 starters. This course was a total death march. 2,000 feet of climbing per 10.5 mile lap on some of the harshest back country trails that the Black Hills has to offer. This race served as one thing....training event for World's. Below is the "official" race recap. Enjoy.

    THURSDAY...

    WIDE OPEN SPACES
    Left around 7 AM Thursday for the 8 hour drive to the western side of South Dakota.


    CRUISE'N
    Still driving. Just look at it as a form of training...endurance driving.



    FRIDAY...
    RUSHMORE
    On Friday, to pass the time before the race course pre-ride, we took in the local sights. It was good to get out and walk around after being cramped in the car the day before.


    CAR
    Follow this car to a local endurance race near you!


    SATURDAY IS RACE DAY...
    The race started early...7 AM local time. So me and my Dad woke up at 4 AM and hit up breakfast at Perkins. I enjoyed a great pre-race beakfast....scrambled eggs, 3 small pancakes, hasbrowns, and a pot of the blackgoodness.

    After a bit of fueling we headed to Wal-Mart to pick up ice and bug spray. Then it was off to the race site to set up.

    FUEL

    Got to the race site plenty early. I had about 1.5 hours to set up. Put out all the needed tool to keep the body happy...ELETE, Hammer Products, Chamois Butter, and other top secret items. And just in case you are wondering....NO, those are not Pringles. It's just your imagination.

    Anywho...
    Here is a little bit about ther course. IT'S HARD!!!! 2000 feet of climbing per lap. 10.5 miles per lap. OUCH!!! The course was pretty technical also. Lots of rocks, roots, and drop offs. The views are like no place else in the world. There was no place to recover on this course. You were either climbing....riding thru rock gardens...or flying down a white knuckle descent.

    So the race started at 7 AM with a shotgun start. Yep, a real shotgun. Hey, it's South Dakota. I was the 3rd person to my bike. I went into the singletrack in 3rd place. The other 2 guys were on teams. I set into my pace and just went with the flow. My "flow" for the race was to float around the 160 HR.

    1/2 way thru the first lap I was cought by last year 2nd place finisher. He was raging hard! I exchanged a few words and let him go. I kept on maintaining my pace. I finished lap 1 in 2nd.

    On lap 3 I was on my own riding in my own little world. Sing it with me..."Alllll by my self."

    Lap 4 began with a some more refueling. Each lap I stopped for about 5-15 seconds to grab ELETE and water in my H20 bottles, and Perpetuem concentrated in a gel flask. About 4 miles into lap 4 I was caught by the 3rd place guy. He was a former SOBE-Cannondale pro rider. We rode together for about 4 miles, then he took off.

    As I came in from lap 4 the 1st place guy was running backwards on the course back to his pit. He broke his chain. I saw this and made my pit short and sweet. I took off on laps 5 and 6 pushing the pace a bit harder. My HR went up 5 beats as I tried to make time. Now I was in 2nd and the SOBE rider was in 1st. Time passed by, but it was about 40 minutes later I was passed by the guy who broke his chain. Now I was back in 3rd. The dude was rage'n. He was in full on time trial mode. When he rode past me I thought he was going to pass out he was riding so hard.

    I came in from lap 6, and my Dad informed me that the SOBE rider who was in 1st place, dropped out. So that means that I was now back in 2nd. I once again made my pit short in hopes of catching the first place guy. By this time, we were later in the afternoon, and the temps have sky rocketed. The race started at a nice 74 degress. Now it was a muggy 88 degrees. I made sure to consume more water, ELETE, and Hammer products.

    I rode through on lap 7 feeling pretty drained. The course now has started to take its toll on me. There was lots of granny gearing going on. I just kept telling my self to keep moving forward. Eating and drinking was getting hard. If you do endurance racing, you know what I am talking about. I needed to eat and drink, but didn't want to barf it up. I finished lap 7 and to my surprise, the 1st place guy had stopped due to cramps. So now I was in 1st!

    I went out on lap 8 and pushed the pace. BAD IDEA!!! I was all pumped to win this race, that I went too hard. I pulled off one of my slowest laps of the day. I was having a hard time finding power on the climbs, and the legs were just not there. DANG!

    I came in from lap 8. My Dad told me that I had 8 minutes on the 2nd place guy. This guy also happened to be last years winner. I headed out on lap 9. I was cooked! Officially done. I had nothing. I was riding in 2x1 and 1x1. It felt like the big ring. I was pedaling squares. With about 4 miles to go on lap 9, I was cought by the 2nd place guy. We exchanged words and joked at the fact that we were so cooked. He went by and I just watched 1st place disappear. I had no gas to get on. The course had beat me into submission.

    I came in after lap 9, and that was it. The race was over. I managed 2nd place overall. Not too bad for a flatlander from Iowa considering the course. This was one of the hardest races I have ever done. That includes 2002 and 2004 World's, and all the other 12 and 24 hour events. The course in bruttle. At this race, you don't battle the 12 hour time limit, but rather mother nature and the surroundings. Your body and equipment must be dialed in. If this race happens next year make sure you go. There will be a healthy dosage of suffering handed out.

    Next race on my calander in the 12 Hours of Winter up in the north woods of Wisconsin on July 9th. Now it is time to recover and prepare for more training. Anyone up for a mnt bike ride on July 4th? Maybe Decorah or Sugarbottom?

    Anyway...
    Thanks to my Nutritional Distribution Manager (Dad) and my many fine sponsors for kick butt products!!!

    Now it is time for a week of recovery and watching my limbs de-swell. Gotta love the kankles.