• Getting Exposed!!!

    Well, there has been a lot of silliness going on surrounding the Trans Iowa Race Presented by CatEye and Tifosi. ( Yes- that's the OFFICIAL name!!) Jeff and I were interveiwed by a nice young lady from our local newspaper, The Waterloo Courier. Then, after work, we met a Courier photographer out at Birdsall Park. I was a little late in arriving there. By the time I showed up, I could see Jeff doing mini-laps in the parking lot with some sort of contraption clamped to the front of his rig. Was this some Trans Iowa secret weaponry? No, just a camera mounted from his stem! The photographer was hitting the "shutter" button from a remote. Way cool! After they were through with that, we headed west out of town on 12th Street, which turns to gravel just beyond it's intersection with Union Road. Robert Fry, who was there as well, was originally not going to go on the gravel, as he was riding a really cool, old 4 speed, internally geared roadie, outfitted with narrowish tires. However; he gamely continued on with us into freshly laid gravel. We all were fish tailing, and bouncing around on the marbley surface. If anyone is showing up at Trans Iowa with a cyclo-cross bike, they are going to have their hands full, if not totally numbed! After the short ride out and back, I headed home, riding most of the way with Robert. I had "time trialed" all the way from work, to home, and then out to Birdsall to try and make it on time. I probably had about 15 miles into that effort. So, the ride home was tough for me, and into a headwind. Robert was just casually spinning along. I am not in the same league with these guys, so I hurt! Well, that's good for me! I probably needed that push.

    Found out today, also, that we will be eating at the Piza Ranch with the Trans Iowa racers the night before the big ride. That should be fun! I am pretty excited to see this all go down! Well, I can afford to be excited I guess, since I'm not riding in it! Ha!

    Hope you all get in some great riding this weekend, and are able to enjoy the springtime in Iowa.OUT!