• "Ghetto" 29er Build and Other Stuff!

    Hey Y'all! First, I wanted to say that some of you don't realize that I post on Jeff's site, judging from the comments, but that's okay! I like being on the down low, so when the "poopy" hits the fan, y'all can blame Mr 24! Ha!

    Got a trade in bike at the shop the other day. An older Schwinn "Criss-Cross". I already run one of these as a commuter rig. They usually have WAY long top tubes for their size. I think my 17" has a 23" top tube! That's like, MTB geometry! So, when this bike came in, I noticed it had ALOT more clearance in the chainstays than mine did. Well, I got that "look" in my eye! I grabbed my recently acquired Maxxis Ignitor 29" tire, mounted it on the rear wheel of this Criss-Cross, and Whooo-doggie! IT FIT!! So, I tried the front fork, and- NO-GO! Rats! And, it's a one inch steerer to boot! Well, I didn't give up. I found a C'dale touring fork, and whilst it did not fit the Ignitor,(The outermost knobs rubbed) I found out today that my WTB Motoraptor fits fine!!! Yaaay! I'll use Motoraptors front and rear, Hang my old 8 speed XT stuff on it, V-brakes, THUMB SHIFTERS, and, well...a host of other "garage stock" goodies, and I've got a rigid, gearie, 29 inch wheeled MTB! Yeah, 19" seat tube, and a 23 and 3/4ths inch top tube! Rollin' Over Bay-Beee!

    This Just In! ( especially for Carlos the Jackal) Went surfin' over to Single Track Magazines site today, and lo and behold! A BMC off-road TANDEM! Now Carlos, you don't have any excuse not to take your "queen" on your next mtb outing! They also had a Hope HID light from a story on a Brit bike show, with a trick stem cap mounted light and battery. Pretty cool, but Cateye's new LED lights are going to blow those Hope's outta the water- stay tuned!

    Rode the Greenbelt today, and the trails were pretty greasy! Frost is still coming out of the ground here. Worst thing was, somebody rode their HORSE on it! Good thing the mud was only about 2" deep! Local riders beware! A large deposit of HORSE APPLES on trail in the Ainsborough to Ridgeway section! Can't miss it! It's about half a bushels worth! I've not seen any evidence of horses on this section of trail for YEARS! Man- some people just don't get it! DO NOT RIDE YOUR HORSE ON A MUDDY TRAIL! And they complain about MTB damage- BAH!

    Gnomes have invaded Europa Cycle and Ski! Soon to be turned loose out in the Iowa countryside! An EVIL PLOT? Hmmmm..............................

    TRANS-IOWA GNOMES

    Guitar Ted, Gnome Domination emminent!! BEWARE!