• Race Report: Breck 68 Marathon

    This past weekend was the Breckenridge 68 Marathon, which runs in conjunction with the Breckenridge 100. While the 100-mile race features 3 different loops, the 68-mile race only completes 2 of these loops. Looping in and out of Breckenridge, CO the 68-mile race covers terrain between 9,600-11,500 ft and nets the racers 9,200 ft of climbing for the day.

    2012 Breck 68 Marathon

    I am no stranger to this event having finished 1st and 5th in previous attempts. This time around, I would have to battle rain, hail, and some fast competition during the nearly 6 hours on the bike.

    I know this course well, so I just rode my pace early and let guys attack early on. After the 1st loop on the Colorado Trail I was about 1 min back from the leaders, they were in sight for a majority of the day, but couldn't close the gap. I got lucky late in the race with the leaders taking a wrong turn...missing the Gold Dust Trail turn off.  I heard they may have missed the turn, but it could not be confirmed.  So, I chased what I thought was 3rd place all the way back to Breckenridge and the finish.  When I came in I was told I was 2nd as the 2 previous leaders DQ'd their ride and did not ride the entire course.

    I piloted the Canyon Grand Canyon AL 29er to yet another person best time, beating my personal best time by just shy of 20 minutes.

    2012 Breck 68 pro men podium

    Results
    Jeff Kerkove, 2nd, Pro Men

    GPS file on Strava