• REPORT: Firecracker 50

    Team PR release...

    Topeak-Ergon celebrates July 4th at the Firecracker 50

    July 4th, 2013
    Breckenridge, Colorado, USA

    Every July 4th, America celebrates its independence. On this very same day every year, thousands of mountain bikers from across the western USA descend on Breckenridge, Colorado for the Firecracker 50. A long-standing and very popular marathon race, the 50-mile Firecracker 50 sends riders up to 11,300 feet above sea level twice as they traverse the two 25-mile loops that make up the Firecracker 50.

    Toeing the start line in downtown Breckenridge, CO for Team Topeak-Ergon USA were Dave Wiens and Jeff Kerkove. This marks the return to racing for Dave after taking a small break from racing after the 2009 Leadville 100. With a 9:30 AM start, the Pro Men would lead out the 1,000+ field of racers into the Colorado backcountry. Dave, having a great start, would make the small lead group break. Jeff would follow shortly behind in group 2 as they chased early in the race.

    2013 Firecracker 50

    Dave would ride a smart race, catching riders who would struggle with pacing and mechanicals. Finishing in 3rd place overall, Dave had this to say following his race, “My new Canyon 29er was awesome! So fast! My strategy was to go as hard as I could go but to not get in over my head. I fell off of the pace of the leaders but kept it at my red line. Was in the group of 5-7th at half way. I was strongest on the flats and less steep climbs like Boreas. Moved into 4th, then caught Jay….then Jay flatted and I knew if all went well, I rode smart was a little lucky, I could get third. Mission accomplished.”

    2013 Firecracker 50

    Jeff would ride his best Firecracker 50 race to date, finishing 12th and riding his fastest time in this Colorado classic. “I felt good all day, and had a good race for me. Was happy to turn my fastest time on this course and achieve my highest placing here at the Firecracker, “ said Jeff upon finishing.

    GPS data on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/64791182

    Results

    Dave Wiens, 3rd, Pro Men
    Jeff Kerkove, 12th, Pro Men

    all photos by Devon Balet Photography