• The Colorado rainy season

    Thunderstorms are the theme of the day for the last month or so. You can pretty much set a watch to it. Come about 1 PM every day, thunderstorms develop and drop everything from rain......to hail......to funnel clouds. For example, here is yesterday afternoon looking south of Fort Collins...

    Out running thunderstorms
    So, to lessen my chances of getting soaked, the training rides are starting around 9 and 10 AM. The plan is to get out there and get it done. Today, was a repeat of a workout from last week: 3 x 20 minute zone 4 wattage intervals. The original plan was to head back to Poudre Canyon. But, the closer I got...it began to look like this....


    Out running thunderstorms
    Eeeeeeek. I opted to stay closer to town and do the intervals on the steeper Rist Canyon. This would involve riding 20 minutes up....the doing a 10 minute recovery down. Do it 3 times...and spin home.


    Out running thunderstorms
    Every time I went up, the clouds got a bit more ominous looking. Also, the thunder was starting to over take the tunes pumping out of my iPod.


    Out running thunderstorms
    As far as the ride went, I felt good. The legs were snappy and the rpm's were turning over quickly. It is all I could ask for after a large chunk of miles this past weekend. The results are in the numbers that the SRM recorded today....


    3 x 20 minute 300-330 watt
    After the 3rd and final interval, I hightailed it back to the house. By the time I ended that last interval up the canyon, the rain was starting to lightly fall....and even a hail stone or two began to fall.


    Out running thunderstorms

    Lucky me, I made it home without getting wet. Question is, will I be lucky tomorrow?