• Future training ride?

    Here is a route that I have had my eye on since I moved here. Why haven't I done it yet? First, it hasn't fit into the training plan. Second, too much snow on Trail Ridge Rd has it closed. This Friday, the road is open to cars. As for us cyclists...this week is a golden opportunity before the summer traffic packs the road.


    The mapped out route is a 132 mile out and back. It's pretty much all up hill to the visitor center at my turn around point. How much climbing? Well, I start at the house at approx. 4,900 ft. The high point for my route sits at 11,800 ft where I would turn around. There are refuel options in Estes Park at select stores..and at the visitors center at the turn around point. Now, the question is, how long do you think the round trip would take? 8 hours? 10 hours? Less? Longer?! I am thinking with good weather and a good nutritional day it would take some where in the 8 hour mark. Most of the work is going up. Coming down is a lot of coasting and 30+ mph speeds.

    Some very tasty teaser pics from roughly 12,000 ft...

    Trail Ridge Rd

    Trail Ridge Rd