• I have ridden a bike...

    ...in the past few days. While over in Germany, I had the chance to get out on one of the Topeak-Ergon World Cup team bikes for about 2.5 hours. While on this ride I also got to try out the new backpack that ERGON will have coming out for 2007.





    Sorry, I have no pictures, other than this one from Eurobike, cause it was raining during the ride so I didn't carry a my camera. Anyway, I was taken to the local mtb stomping grounds by Ergon design guru and Topeak-Ergon Team rider Kim Tofaute (far left).

    We rode some nice singletrack trails that were around 3 ft wide and climbed the foothills around the town. The climbing was great, cause as an Iowan you do not get this very often. So the 45 minute climb to the top was a welcome helping of lactic burn.

    The backpack was special. One I started ridding offroad it automatically showed how different it was from everything else that currently exists in the market. The inside has a hydration bladder, along with a section of organizational compartments to help keep your gear in line. The only contact points on the riders body are the tops of the shoulders and lumbar section. The rest of the pack sits off your body and allows those who use a 3 pocket cycling jersey access into those jerseys.

    The highlight feature of this pack is the socket-joint that sits on the upper part of the pack. This joint allows the pack to stay centered on your body while to twist and turn through trail. Also, the design of the pack helps to distribute the pack weight. I was carrying a bit of extra weight to get a good idea of how the pack works. The more weight...the better. You could be carrying 15lbs of gear, but it will feel like you are carrying 3lbs. ITS CRAZY!!!! I told Kim, that this pack would ideal for events like Great Divide, Trans-Alps, Trans-Iowa, and Kokopelli style events. I was blown away by how light and what this pack does. As with all Ergon products, you have to try it to believe it. There is so much thought that goes into this pack it is sick!

    Look for this pack in the near future. There will be 2 sizes available for both mens and womens bodies. I am not 100% sure on price-points yet.